In honor of one of the most influential rap artists of all time, (and one of my most favorite people that I've ever met) I am going to dedicate this Musique Muse Blog Segment to Tupac Shakur, with the hopes of inspiring you ALL to embrace your own inner 'THUG' and let your truest self shine through!
'2Pac' was a man that unabashedly bared his old soul not only in his body of musical work, but through his extensive interviews and writings. He was an outspoken advocate for the poor and underdogs around the world. He was a poet, actor, artist, and revolutionary. The below post is inspired by actual quotes spoken from Tupac, with my own interpretation on how YOU can be a THUG in 10 Easy Steps!
T.H.U.G.L.I.F.E is an acronym for: The Hate You Give Little Infants F*cks Everyone. No, it doesn't mean you have to be a gangsta or promote violence. Being a Thug is about standing up for yourself, standing up for what's right, and promoting self-empowerment.
Photos, + Outfit and Makeup Details down below!
How To Be a Thug in 10 Easy Steps
Inspired by the Philosophy of Tupac Shakur
1. STOP LISTENING TO NEGATIVE PEOPLE: No matter what you try to do in life, there is always going to be that one negative person that will work tirelessly to perpetuate negativity and bring you down. Whether the hate comes from your so-called friends, family, or coworkers, just understand their negativity derives from their own self-esteem issues. Stand up for yourself and let them know that you're not going to tolerate it. If they don't respect you, eliminate them from your life! Discern the difference between those that come from a sincere place and try to offer constructive criticism, verses someone who wants to judge and persecute you for living the quality life that you desire to attain for yourself. A real Thug doesn't waste time tryin' to be a people-pleaser. Keep your head up and your middle finger higher!
“Only God Can Judge Me. That which does not kill me can only make me stronger. I don't see why everybody feel as though that they gotta tell me how to live my life.” - 2Pac
2. BE CAREFUL WHO YOU TRUST: Develop a keen sense of intuition and beware of a wolf in sheep's clothing. Trust is earned, not given. Pay attention to those 'red flags' that people give you and use that as a warning sign. Assume nothing, question everything.
“Watch for phonies, keep your enemies close n*gga watch your homies.” - 2Pac
3. UTILIZE RESOURCES: Don't make excuses for yourself as to why you aren't successful. We live in the age of the Internet and smart phones, so there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't be able to excel intellectually and professionally. If you want to be successful, surround yourself with other successful people. Pick their brains. Ask questions. Research. Tap into all your available resources.
“Even the genius ask questions.” -2Pac
4. EVOLVE OR DIE: Educate yourself in philosophy, and work to attain enlightenment. Turn off the 'Reality TV' shows once and a while to READ a good book. If the dynamic of your personal relationships begin to change, take the necessary action to seek resolution and evolve with your partner. If you're stuck in a job that doesn't allow room for growth, consider finding a new job or speak to your boss. Be your own advocate, always. Change your narrow-minded way of thinking, be open to accepting new ideas and change. You'll live a more enriching life because of it.
“I want to grow. I want to be better. You Grow. We all grow. We're made to grow. You either evolve or you disappear.” - 2Pac
5. STAY POSITIVE: Yeah, I get it—Sometimes it's easier said than done. But, I promise you, the minute you allow darkness to creep into your brain, everything will only get worse. Attitude is EVERYTHING! I cannot stress this enough! Charles R. Swindoll once said: "The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church.... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes." So SMILE through the BULLSHIT, and you WILL be alright!
“Whatever you see you gotta keep a sense of humor; you gotta be able to smile through all the bullshit.” -2Pac
6. NEVER STOP DREAMING: No matter where you come from, your age, economic status, or cultural background . . . NEVER stop dreaming! BE A VISIONARY! Dream of the person you'd like to evolve into, dream for your family, dream of your success, and once you have a clear picture of what your dreams are, do whatever it takes to ACHIEVE them! . . . Believe, Achieve, Receive!
“During your life, never stop dreaming. No one can take away your dreams.” -2Pac
7. STAY STRONG: Life is always going to be filled with challenges and adversity, but it's how we maneuver through it and triumph, that of which will determine our legacy. Its okay to experience vulnerable moments, but own your pain and use it to overcome obstacles. Greatness comes from perseverance. You are stronger than you realize. I promise.
“As wars come and go, my soldier stays eternal.” -2Pac
8. KNOW WHEN TO LET GO: Don't hang onto sh*t because you fear change. Don't hang onto someone you don't love because you're used to them. Don't kick yourself in the ass repeatedly over a mistake you've made. Forgive yourself and know when it's time to LET GO. Have the courage to step out of your comfort zone and put your mental stability first.
“You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened... or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the fuck on.” -2Pac
9. HAVE FAITH: Believe in yourself. Believe in your abilities, believe in your talent and skill. You don't have to be religious to have a sense of spiritual depth. Handle what's in front of you. Take things one step at a time. Have faith that the darkness will pass. Obstacles are an opportunity to consciously choose faith over fear. Keep Moving Forward and hold on tight to your faith.
“I know it seems hard sometimes but remember one thing. Through every dark night, there's a bright day after that. So no matter how hard it get, stick your chest out, keep ya head up... and handle it.” -2Pac
10. NEVER GIVE UP: Don't you dare give up on yourself. F*ck what people say. Don't even listen to those negative voices inside your head. Don't give into your fears. Don't doubt yourself. You must believe that you are put here on this earth for a reason. You are not your past, so don't dwell in the darkness. Don't let anyone or anything EVER kill your soul.
“Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside while still alive.”
And remember, "Tupac cares, if don't nobody else care" . . . (and I care too!)'
If you enjoyed this post, pin it and share it with a friend! Let's take ownership for the people that we'd like to become.
What I Wore:
Tupac Shirt - Forever XXI (sold out, similar below)
Satin Jog Pants - Forever XXI
Sneaker Wedges - Online
Sunglasses - Linda Farrow for Alexander Wang
Chain Necklace - Forever XXI
Cross Earrings - Forever XXI
Scorpion Bracelet - Here
Eyeliner - Teddy MAC
Mascara - Maybelline Rocket
Eyeshadow - Naked 2 Pallet
Blush - Laura Geller Blush-N-Brighten in Sunswept
Highlighter - Nars Albatross
Foundation - L'oreal Lumi
Powder - Makeup Forever HD
Lipstick - NYX Pure Nude
Lipliner - NYX Natural